Thursday, August 5, 2010

Brought back to reality, thanks to Kate Spade ...

So the title might be a little confusing .. how does retail bring you back to reality? I mean, typically I turn to retail to escape reality? Let me explain ... As I mentioned in my last post, I disappeared into the whirling vortex of Teach For America training for the summer. Some people probably found the time to blog, I however spent any of my free time (which was only on the weekends if there was any ... ) with my husband.

Most of the summer training was down in Houston, but once we got back to Dallas we had a bit more stuff to do. Now that we are finishing up most of our TFA summer training, we are in our Dallas ISD summer training ... all of these things are valuable of course, but the time I am spending planning my first unit plus, getting everything ready for my students (all 150 of whom enter my classroom in a little over two weeks) plus the actual time spent training during the day has been quite a lot!

As someone who tends to obsess over things anyways, this environment has been insane and I find myself getting worked up. Sooooooo ... when I got an invitation in the mail to a 'Sips and Snacks' party at Kate Spade (plus discounts for Slipper Club), I decided to jump on it. I knew I needed to break out of my work zone and do something fun. I called my dear friend (and new bride-to-be ESS) to have some pre-shopping chat time at La Duni and it was just what I needed! Followed with some more girl time and 20% off at Kate Spade - I was feeling really positive. I swiped up these earrings and called it a night.

But this isn't where Mrs. Spade saved me ... As I pulled up to home-sweet-home, with a full night of work ahead of me, a familiar feeling of discouragement washed over me. "How am I ever going to get all of these things done, be an amazing teacher, change lives,etc ..." I took a deep sigh, grabbed my bags from the passenger seat and prepared to head inside ... but before I did, my eyes caught a certain something. "Have Courage".

Clearly a message from Kate Spade ... and God. I am grateful for the reminder that His love is great and everywhere and most importantly, I am not on this mission alone ...

5 comments:

  1. Isn't it amazing how God reminds us in the simplest ways that He is not only with us, He is for us! You will be an amazing teacher!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am enjoying reading about your training and other preparations for your new teaching position. I know you're super busy, but I hope you'll find time to update us on how things are going from time to time. Many good wishes for a successful year!

    ReplyDelete
  3. That is such a great message - and from an unlikely source! Can't wait to hear all about your new teaching adventures. You will be great!

    ReplyDelete
  4. love this one Grace...glad to hear you are doing well=-)

    ReplyDelete
  5. This post brought tears to my eyes!!! love it!!!!! Thanks for the honorable mention too :) so fun!!

    LOVE YOU!

    It takes a special person like you to notice the small and meaningful things in life :)

    ReplyDelete