Sunday, January 17, 2010

The Guest Room

One of my most favorite rooms in a house is the "guest room". With all of our family, and many of our friends being out of town, the guest room is one room that I really want to get right! Ever since we bought our place and started combining our stuff, decorating and nesting has been quite a process.

This weekend my mom and sister came out to Dallas for an impromptu visit which made me refocus my attention to the guest room.

I'm not in love with the bedding anymore (I am incredibly fickle ...) and I think I am going to change the bedding to an all white ensemble. And secondly, we have officially decided to extend the wood/laminate flooring into the guestroom (and master for that matter ...) which will make a huge difference. But, with only a few days of warning, obviously these things couldn't happen over night. Even if your guests are staying on a futon or air mattress, there are still some a few thoughtful touches that can be added to make someone welcome during their stay in your home.

1. Fresh Flowers

I love fresh flowers. They are proven to lower blood pressure, make people optimistic, and make a room pretty!! Put it in your guest room (or the room that is serving as a guestroom), the guest bath, the living and dining room, etc ... I think you should have fresh flowers any ways whenever you can.

2. Ample snacks/cocktails/breakfast options.

Before sister and mom came out, I went to Central Market and stocked up on dips and spreads, scones, fresh juices, cheese etc ... My mom is a Coca Cola lover so we grabbed a few cans of Coke so if you're guest can't wake up without a good cup of joe, get some fresh grounds. I fill the fridge with wine, champagne, etc ...

3. Instructions on how to work electronics.

Every one's TV and electronic system is different. Every one's coffee maker is different. Every one's shower is different .... you get my drift. Take the time to type u all of the channels and leave a little list (like in a hotel) that says , CNN is 32, HGTV is 57, press "xyz" button to start the coffee maker, etc ...
4. Toiletries

Mr. SG and I save any of our unused toiletries for our guest bath. Consequently, we have many products, slippers, etc ... anything else you can't save from a hotel, we make sure we have from the travel section of Target, i.e. mini-toothpaste, hairspray, Advil, etc ... The newest thing we were thinking of adding to our guest bath are a pair of robes embroidered with the word "guest" so that loved ones in our home can swaddle themselves post shower .. no one likes to get caught in a towel, running back to the guest room!!

I ordered a bunch of robes for my bridesmaids to wear while they were getting their hair done for my wedding (they were monogrammed, of course ...) and I used http://www.towelbathrobe.com/. You can get a great robe for around 20$.


5. Pictures of you and the guest

Put a picture of you and the guest(s) in the room. I have heard this suggestion before and don't always remember to do it, but never-the-less its a nice touch.

6. Water

Every May, Mr. SG and I travel to Jacksonville, FL to attend The Player's Championship at Sawgrass. Our good friends (and a ton of our family) live in the area and we always stay with MHB and JBB, Mr. SG's good childhood friend and best man and his wife. I love their guestroom and I swear, we always have the best nights sleep!! But one of the most memorable details is the water carafe they had set out for us! I found the greatest water carafe to add to your guest's bedside at William-Sonoma! Now, they'll never have to make the awkward walk in their pajamas to your kitchen! 8. Add your own special touches ...

Make sure they know where the spare blankets are, keep your closets stocked with board games and a spare key so they can come and go as they please. How about making a list of the area attractions - art museums, zoos, restaurants ... Make your home a loving place for guests to come and find joy in it!!

No comments:

Post a Comment