Wednesday, August 26, 2009

Attention: Lost Topsider

We have a very serious matter on our hands. My favorite pair of topsiders (Sperrys, of course ...) is no longer a pair. For the past few weeks I have opened my closet to find only one, sad topsider looking confused and alone in his little shoe nook. Now that we have passed a month of his absence, I am getting concerned. This pair of shoes is not just another pair of shoes. It is my oldest pair of boat shoes - 7 years old! I have so many memories in these shoes. Boat shoes are practically part of the uniform at SMU. I know what you're thinking, "Isn't SMU in Dallas?"But as I have eluded to in my profile, SMU students take pride in their repertoire of 'prep' and what that means is you don't need a horse to wear riding boots come November and you certainly don't need the ocean to wear topsiders.


One fond memory is of a sweet, freshman boy marveling at how my Sperry's could look so broken-in. Boy did I throw him for a loop when I let him in on my secret - I wear them boating ... Yes my dears, these kinds of conversations did really happen at my Southern Alma Mater. (I assure you though, SMU wasn't all ribbon belts and canvas totes- I was privileged to go to school with some of the best and the brightest.) Anyways, back to Operation: Find The Topsider. If you see this shoe and it seems lost and confused,please return it to me! Otherwise, if you see a pair at your local Boat U.S. buy it! It will be a faithful friend for many years and many dunks in the salty sea. It will stand by you as you jump off the boat and into higher tide than planned. Its' non-skid sole will ensure you don't slip as you dock at the yacht club to grab a gin and tonic. And it might just be a conversation starter for a timid freshman girl, on her own at an out-of-state college, eager and ready for life to begin.

1 comment: