Friday, August 28, 2009

Likes and Dislikes

Today we're going to talk about my likes and dislikes.

Likes:

Finding Good Deals
Successful DIY Wedding Projects

Dislikes:

Bad Etiquette
Bad Hangovers

Likes ...

Finding Good Deals

This week has been a fabulous one for bargain hunting. One dear reader messaged me that she loves fashion but just doesn't have the funds to shop as much as her heart desires. Well darling, many of us are in that boat. I have two suggestions. The first would be to consign your unwanted clothes or go to a store that buys your clothes upfront and recycle that money to keep your styles current. Secondly - Thrift stores. Consignment stores. Clothes swap! You know my love for thrift stores. As long as you're not bothered by wearing previously worn clothing (just get it dry cleaned!) then this is a fabulous solution for you. Consignments Stores are generally more upscale and my favorite here in Dallas, Clothes Circuit, is dripping in designer brands. I once got a pair of $300 Tory Burches, unworn, for $80 and unworn Lilly flats for $25. If you have a good friend in your same size, do some clothing swaps! But for me my greatest success is at thrift stores. Take the other day for example - I was performing my weekly ritual of antique silver hunting at the Salvation Army (for my wedding centerpieces) and I decided to hop over to the clothes since the green tags were 50% off. I found two fabulous fall items. One brown, Herringbone blazer - fits like it was made for me and is a Ralph Lauren brand to boot. I got this lovely for $6 - you may gasp.


Secondly, I got this navy wool crepe beauty for $12. This jacket is authentic vintage. I looked up the label inside - turns out Herbert Grossman was a designer for Nieman Marcus. This jacket is legit 1970's and has an old Niemans label sewn in. Very good find.


These jackets will be perfect with some skinny jeans (picture Audrey Hepburn cigarette pants not painted-on-the-thigh Beyonce jeans) and a nice J-Crew tee. Throw on some long pearls and cute flats and you're ready to go!

Secondly, I went to Marshalls. I was not shopping for myself - I was looking for a gift, I promise. But I couldn't help myself from browsing and its a good thing a did. I found this Lilly tennis skirt that was once $168 and I paid $10!! As I mentioned, I play tennis. So technically I need this skirt. Plus at $10, I would be silly not to grab it!

Finally, I went to St. Vincents to drop off a donation and decided it couldn't hurt to browse. I found this darling purse for $3 - reminds me of Kate Spade or atleast 1950s and 1960's Florida. Then, bargain of all bargains, I found Wedgewood hiding in the homegoods section. Dear readers, I purchased 8 cups and saucers and 6 luncheon plates of the iconic Nantucket Basketweave pattern for just $60. Do you know how much it would cost to buy these items full price? I checked ... nearly $600!!!!! I called my mom immediately, who of course shared in my joy. Yes darlings, I really, really like finding good deals.


Successful DIY Wedding Projects
I have three flowergirls - yes three. Dresses for those little munchkins are expensive! I have looked around Crew Cuts (my favorite) and other child boutiques and cannot find good dresses for under $100 a piece. And when I do, I rarely find the three sizes I need let alone dresses that I actually like. So I took matters into my own hands. I purchased these t]Target dresses below for $30 a piece and since I spent over $50 I got free shipping. But affordable dresses like these only come in a rather cheesy, bright white. Not chic at all. So I tea stained them! Tea staining is a wonderful idea for making clothes look more antique - it gives a warmth to the fabric like you wouldn't believe! To do this I filled up a giant pot with water, brought it to a boil, let about 25 tea bags steep for 5 minutes, took the tea bags out, put the dress in and stirred it around for 10 minutes, washed it off with clean, cold water and hung to dry. Repeat for each dress. Voila, the finished products!! They are topped off with a silk sash that is made out of the bridesmaid dress material that was purchased for $25 dollars. Success!! I really do like when DIY goes well!


Dislikes ...

Bad Etiquette

My sweet sister, AEW, is a debutante in our hometown. Our debutante program invites 22 girls to debut who throw their own parties, either alone or with another debutante, before the big ball in December. My sister's party is tomorrow. We are taking the red-eye to Florida in order to make it. The parties are always themed and her theme is TV Land so Mr. SG and I are going as Mr. and Mrs. Howell (pictures to come). I have never heard of more horribble etiquette than what my sweet sister has had to put up with leading up to this soiree. When I was a debutante, we never had problems like these. AEW has had to approach so many of her invitees because they did not R.S.V.P! Can you believe it? She says some of them claim to not know what an R.S.V.P means?!? I find it hard to believe that among my sister's friends who are 18 and all have a private school background, don't know what R.S.V.P means. And if that is the case where are their parents?! What ever happened to good party etiquette? Remembering to R.S.V.P should be the easiest rule to follow! Wonder what they'll do once they get to the receiving line? It should be a wonderful party, inspite of these troubles... but I hate that little AEW is having to deal with this nonsense! These kids need to get a copy of an Emily Post or Amy Vanderbilt etiqutte book tout de suite!

Bad Hangovers

When stunning Betty Draper has her hangover moments in Season Two she somehow makes it look glamorous. Though I suspect she would make anything look glamorous. I however, do not make it look glamorous. Though I love my cocktails, I am not a heavy drinker or 'hard partier' if you will. I never really was in college either. With SMU back in session, perhaps it was the scent of over-indulgence wafting in the air of Highland Park that led me to enjoy one too many. Or rather, too much variety. See it wasn't the number - because my number over the night was incredibly tame - it was the variety. I started with a declious, dirty martini before dinner with my dear friend DBK at Neighborhood Services (delicious). Then moved on to a chardonnay to enjoy with my avocado and crab salad for dinner. Then my last variety was light beer while enjoying some great live music on the outdoor patio of a bar. This is a recipie for disaster and I woke up this morning not in the mood to do any laundry or vacuuming. So note to self, at my sisters debutante party, find a drink and stick to it!

5 comments:

  1. I don't know; I think that I'm going to have to disagree with you that the problem was the mix of drinks. I think that's an old wives' tale. Why would anything but the amount of alcohol and the time over which it was consumed matter? It just doesn't make sense, SG.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Omg, this is tooo funny of a post. I feel like it needs a "bless your heart" comment too. :) Xoxo-BLC

    PS: Thanks for the Bella Bridesmaid tip!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Dear S,

    According to thehangovernetwork.com, mixing carbonated and non-carbonated alcoholic drinks can cause a stronger hangover (remember the light beer in the mix). The reason being that our body metabolizes each alcoholic drink different due to the varied ratios in each drink. Carbonation actually speeds up the metabolic process so that something that might have gone a bit slower like wine, or liquor would be matabolized right along with the carbonated drink. Psychologically speaking, people tend to drink more when they are mixing than when sticking to the same libation. And as you pointed out, quantity will most often result in a nasty morning after. So I urge those concerned to do your own research (online preferably, not in real life) and create your own strategy. Mine this past weekend (since our Yacht Club which was hosting the party pours quite generously) was to mix sensibly, no carbonation and lots of water!!! And it worked - I felt refreshed in the morning and sat around poolside with a mimosa.

    Love, SG

    ReplyDelete
  4. BLC you are most welcome - and the post needed just such a thing. Have a lovely day!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I couldn't help but laugh out loud when you wrote:
    As I mentioned, I play tennis. So technically I need this skirt.

    PS--I love love love the cute dresses from Target. What a great idea to tea stain them. I didn't even know they sold those online!

    ReplyDelete