Tuesday, September 1, 2009

Sisters


Recently my wonderful grandmother Mimi passed away after a horrible battle with vascular dementia. The last time I saw her I was up in Nashville for her birthday, just a few weeks before she passed, and even in her foggy state, laying in her bed at the nursing home, she was asking what she should wear to our wedding. She is missed every day. At her funeral, one of her sisters gave a eulogy centering around the notion of "sisters". It was beautiful. As I sat next to my own sister, AEW, I felt happy and sad at the same time. On the one hand, putting her eulogy in the context of sisters brought sadness to my heart at the thought of what pain it must be to lose a beloved sister. But on the other hand, it was a beautiful message filled with the encouragement to love and cherish the special bond with you sister.


When dear AEW was born, I turned to my mother in her hospital bed and said, "She is just what I wanted." Now I assure you, there are moments when what I wanted was some peace and quiet, but I urge all who have the distinct privilege of having a sister to nurture that relationship. It is a sacred bond that is like no other. For those who don't have a sister, think of that special friend with whom your relationship is so close it is like a surrogate sister. And if you think about it our society loves sisters. We have the Greek system that gave me hundreds of Kappa sisters. And then our Debutante Society called us Debs, "Deb sisters".


At home this weekend in sunny Florida, I was so proud to be a sister. My wonderful AEW was the epitome of class and elegance at her Debutante party. Though most of her Deb Sisters carried themselves well, there were a few questionable instances.


Here she is dressed as Ginger from Gilligan's island. My sweet Mother is Lavern. (Her sister was Shirley!) As I mentioned, the theme was TV Land.



This is me and my best friend, Deb Sister, and other MOH, SVB at our Debutante ball five years ago.


A great quote from Maya Angelou says;


"I don't believe an accident of birth makes people sisters or brothers. It makes them siblings, gives them mutuality of parentage. Sisterhood and brotherhood is a condition people have to work at."


This is so true. You must not take your sister for granted. Just because you're related doesn't mean you don't have to work on it. She might get on your nerves from time to time but she is a lifelong friend with whom the potential for love is indescribable. Love her, support her, laugh with her, cry with her and take joy in knowing you have been blessed with a sister.

No comments:

Post a Comment