Sunday, September 13, 2009

Like much of this country, here in Dallas we have been drenched in rain for about 48 hours straight. I have been waffling between loving the cozy feeling that comes when I am snuggled up under the duvet while rain softly drops outside my window and loathing how I always seem to step off the curb into an enormous puddle that fills my top-siders. The animals seem to be perplexed by our Noah-esque rainfall and are constantly staring out our front door. But to be fair, this weather has given me an excuse to wear rain gear, which I have a soft-spot for so it all works out.

Today I went to the precious pink-themed birthday party of the baby (now a big girl) who I babysat for during college. The party was filled with teetering tots ranging from 4 months to about 5 years and then their parents. This celebration was like a fashion show of adorable children's clothes! Every corner I turned I was met by an adorable boy or girl in smocked dresses or embroidered overalls. Which reminds me ... any SMU alumni or grad students with little ones, head over to the SMU bookstore and scoop up one of these.
Note the SMU smocking ... I was dying and Mr. SG even said "Well maybe we can put it on Scout?" With a price tag of around 75$ the doggie option was a no-go but that shouldn't stop those of you with real children from purchasing this adorable ensemble. For those of another alma mater, I have heard etsy.com is a great place to have custom smocking done. This outfit also came in overalls and would be perfect for tailgating!!

But since chillins (the Southern pronunciation of children) are in the much distant future for Mr. SG and I, we are content with our babies. But lets not kid ourselves, cats and dogs are a handful. Take this weekend for example. Harper loves flowers ... she has a particular weakness for tulips, lilies and peonies - she has her mother's taste. Anyways, I dared to bring in some lilies and forgot to snip off the pollen. (IF you don't do this yet, heed my advice - snip off the pollen stems with scissors to avoid a finding a shower of the yellow stuff a day or two later.) While we were sleeping, someone had herself a little party in the dining room. I awoke to lilies strewn across our table - they had lost to their opponent. And it was very clear who had brought them to their knees ... see the evidence on her face below.




Since I was running out the door to make an early meeting, I quickly cleaned up the mess, attempted to wipe her face with a kitty bath-wipe and stored the remaining flowers in the guest bath. Somewhere along the way, Mr. SG opened the door and let Harper in. I asked him how it had not looked odd that a giant arrangement of lilies was in the guest bath? (It is usually a small arrangement in a julep cup.) No, he hadn't noticed anything odd ... so Harper is now covered in the pollen yet again. It does not come off and she now reminds us of David Bowie.


My soon-to-be mother-in-law was concerned that I had not already downloaded a list of flowers poisonous to cats and will be forwarding one my way. Any suggestions on how to remove the pollen off of her beautiful white fur are welcome.


Stay Chic,

HSG

1 comment:

  1. What a cute SMU dress! Isn't it fun to keep in touch with little ones you babysat for? I feel like I'm starting to become one of those "old people" I dreaded because every time I see them I can't help but proclaiming, "you've gotten so big!!"

    ReplyDelete