Friday, September 18, 2009

Churchill


I found this heartbreaking story on one of my favorite reads, HerSouthernCharm.blogspot.com. This precious dog, a 2-year-old English Bulldog was recently set on fire by a teenager. Subsequently his body is nearly 100% covered in burns. The Animal Care Services in San Antonio estimates it will cost $10,000 to bring this little guy back to health. Once he's healthy, Churchill will be put up for adoption! If you feel so compelled to help out a furry friend, this is a great opportunity. Every little bit counts so drink a latte or two less this week and send it in for Churchill. Send donations to:

"Churchill's Fund"Animal Care Services
4710 State Highway 151
San Antonio, Texas 78227

If you want to donate via Credit Card, head on over to HerSouthernCharm.blogspot.com and use her PayPal feature.

You can read the story here. What kills me is that in my opinion animal cruelty is not prosecuted as severely as I believe it should be. Since Churchill's attacker was a teenager, he might (as in possibly) be ordered to counseling. He might face jail time, though it is unlikely and he might be fined. This kid, for his own sake, needs counseling. It should be mandatory for anyone found guilty of animal cruelty. But there are some serious flaws in Texas - don't even get me started on the fact that Texas' scope of animal cruelty laws doesn't include circus animals, wild animals, or animals used in laboratories.

If you want to read up more on fighting animal cruelty, click here to go to the ASPCA website.

I will leave you with a beautiful Prayer for Dogs that I found in the comments on HSC's initial post. This prayer left me weeping - I told you I am a mess when it comes to animals!!

A DOG'S PRAYER

Treat me kindly, my beloved master,
for no heart in all the world is more
grateful for kindness than the loving
heart of me.

Do not break my spirit with a stick,
for although I should lick your hand
between blows, your patience and
understanding will more quickly teach
me the things you would have me do.

Speak to me often, for your voice is
world’s sweetest music, as you must know
by the fierce wagging of my tail when
your footstep falls upon my waiting ear.

When it is cold and wet, please take me
inside, for I am now a domesticated animal,
no longer used to bitter elements.
And I ask no greater glory than the
privilege of sitting at your feet beside the hearth.

Though had you no home,I would rather follow you
through ice and snow than rest upon the
softest pillow in the warmest home in the land,
for you are my god and I am your devoted worshipper.

Keep my pan filled with fresh water,
for although I should not reproach you were it dry,
I cannot tell you when I suffer thirst. Feed me
clean food so that I may stay well to romp and play
and do your bidding, to walk by your side,
and stand ready willing and able to protect you
with my life should your life be in danger.

And beloved master, should the Great Master
see fit to deprive me of my health or sight,
do not turn me away from you. Rather, hold me gently
in your arms as skilled hands grant me the merciful
boon of eternal rest...and I will leave you
knowing with the last breath I draw, my fate was ever
safest in your hands.

--- Beth Norman Harris ---


Stay Chic,

HSG

2 comments:

  1. Hi, I just found your blog and I really like it. I was also incredibly heartbroken over this story and rushed immediately to donate to this sweet angel. I hope and pray he gets the much-needed surgery!

    This is the sweetest prayer. It brought a tear to my eye.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh my gosh, that is so horrible! I don't know what I would do without my doggies. They are my children & it makes me cry everytime I see a dog being treated cruelly. I pray this dog will heal up & go to a GOOD family!
    Bon

    ReplyDelete