Thursday, September 10, 2009

Back-to-School

As I pass through the aisles of my favorite super stores, it's hard to believe that those enormous tins filled with pencils, pens, spiral-bound note books and binders are no longer intended for me. After nearly 20 back-to-school seasons I felt incredibly left out this year! So what have I gone and done ..... I have become a substitute teacher at a school district here in Dallas! Yes dears, I had my official orientation today and it got me so excited but nervous as well. The expectations for substitutes are just as high as they are for the full time teachers. There should be a seamless transition between the full-time teacher's performance and yours as a sub. Mostly I am looking forward to stepping into the classroom and gaining some great experience so that perhaps I can become a full-time teacher and go back-to-school for the rest of my life! I realize that to some of you this sounds like living hades but I have always loved loved loved school.


Yesterday I mentioned to a longtime family friend that I was going to said orientation today and she exclaimed excitedly, "Oh good! You're not messing around with any of that 'waitressing stuff' - I'm so relieved!" I thought it was kind of funny. No - if there is one thing I won't mess around with its' being a waitress. I don't have a great deal of upper-body strength so its pretty much out of the question what with all that lifting of the trays.


I am incredibly thrilled with the opportunity to do something beyond making shopping lists and stocking our pantry each week. And since I have officially begun to talk to the pets like they are my children I figure its time to do something. I loooovveee kids - even the sassy ones. And Mr. SG's jokes about being an "Accidental Breadwinner" are getting old ... he is a clever one though. Today after the orientation I popped into a department store to try on some shoes I had been eyeing. (After all, as an official substitute teacher I need the proper foot attire.) The salesman greeted me and after I told him what I was looking for he started up an odd conversation that went something like this:


Him: " So, are you on your lunch break?"
Me: "No, no just out shopping for the afternoon."
Him: "No wonder you're smiling, you don't have to work for a living."
Me: (insert awkward laugh and an is-this-really-happening side-glance) "Yep, I guess ..."


I mean, it was a little out-of-bounds but he was probably having a rough day in the ladies shoe department. SO on that note, I am excited to substitute. I could potentially work every day if I want to or its flexible enough that I can really customize my schedule.


In anticipation of my new position I ordered some Target dresses that are great IRL! Back-to-school necessities of course ...





These dresses are perfect for the working girl. (Think Melanie Griffith and not a lady-of-the-night ...) The Geo Print tie dress below looks like a giraffe print which I love and is a great transition into fall. I actually wore it with red flats but I think brown would be super. (Hence my shopping trip.) And the blue dress is a great, bright fall color -very peacock -that can transition into cooler weather with some fabulous tights. (The J-Crew ones are my faves right now ...) I envision this dress with my nude flats and some pearls for a simple, classic look.

Lets face it, no matter what you do you want to look and feel your best. So throwing around $24.99 every now-and-then for some great office or classroom looks can be that confidence booster you need. Because standing up in front of 60 + eyeballs teaching chemistry can be scary. So can pitching a marketing strategy to your boss. Admittedly, "rush hour" at the grocery store can be scary too but the dress code is a little more casual at Tom Thumb. There is no denying the psychological benefits that come when you feel like you look great. (Are you reading this Accidental Breadwinner?) So go get em' girls and find a great, new look to do it in!!


Stay Chic,

HSG

4 comments:

  1. Thanks for stopping by my blog!

    How exciting that you're going to be substituting! I taught school for several years and loved it. I keep thinking I should get back into it by subbing every now and then. You'll have to let me know how it goes.

    You should join us at our next Dallas blogger gathering!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi! The tunic on my blog is Lilly and it's on sale right now! I am definitely ordering one and I will let you know how it looks!

    --DC Prep

    ReplyDelete
  3. Congrats! Substituting is great, I did it during graduate school and met a lot of great people. If you are intersted in teaching full time, this is the perfect way to figure out which school you like best etc! I'm looking for work too, so I really related to your expierence with the guy in the shoe department, you've just got to smile, right?!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ha, I feel so honored that I was actually there to hear Mr. SG coin the "AB" term, and I do think it would be rather hilarious if he started his own blog. He always cracks me up, though not as much as the two of you together.

    ReplyDelete