Saturday, August 22, 2009

Mad Men

Mad Men. If you're not watching it, start watching it. It comes on Sunday nights on AMC 10 P.M. Eastern and 9 P.M. Central. I have to admit, I am a late fan. As the promos started rolling for Season 3, Mr. SG and I wondered why we had never watched this show. So we picked up Season 1 and 2 at Best Buy and spent a weekend watching episode after episode until we were ready for Season 3 which debuted last Sunday. Since our jump on the bandwagon I have just been obsessed! The era, the clothes, the decor, the cocktails ... it is sensory overload! The story lines are seductive, the people are attractive and the set design is like eye candy.


Today we had to bug-bomb our little abode to get rid of fleas plaguing Harper and Scout. Since we had to be out of our place for 6 hours we headed over to Northpark and filled our day with The Time Traveler's Wife (tear) and shopping. For whatever reason I rarely stop by The Limited but I feel like when I do I am always surprised by the items I find. These skirts fit into the "surprise category." Plus, the delicious sweater was a bonus- hiding in the clearance racks and a steal of a deal.




















They are perfect fall fabrics; a wool blend that reminds me of a tweed. The yellow is a wonderful neutral but with a 'pop' - it will look fabulous with navy, but can always be paired with a rich, cream sweater. The multi-colored, textured skirt has fun studs around the waistband ththat bring a very Sex-in-the-City vibe to an otherwise conservative and preppy skirt. Something about them remind me of Mad Men - something Joan would wear. (The skirts accentuate curves in a good way.) Turns out this is perfect because on the "Which Mad Men character are you?" quiz I am apparently Joan Holloway, the "sassy and complicated" Office Manager. Though her morals are questionable at times, she has a savvy fashion sense that I will surely channel when building my business professional wardrobe. Mr. SG took the same test and some how is like Jane Siegel. For those of you who don't know, Jane is a home-wrecking hussy who is manipulating her way into a marriage to a partner at Sterling Cooper. Perhaps given this information I should re-think the wedding plans ... (Just kidding dears!)

To finish this Mad Men inspired post I'll leave you with one of my favorite retro drinks. A Bloody Mary! Zing Zang is my all-time favorite, introduced to me by my good friend (and another bridesmaid) ACR. This mix is spicy and delicious and at only 20 calories a serving its as healthy as an adult beverage can be. I like extra lime in my concoctions.


The next time you watch this fabulous show, whether its your first time or your're a regular, mix up an era appropriate cocktail. For next time I'm thinking Vodka Gimlet ...


Stay Chic,


HSG

8 comments:

  1. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Susan, it has to be a natural thing ... it will come but it has to evolve ... No, I didn't read the book first (I usually do, but in this case no ...)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Jane Siegel didn't manipulate herself into a marriage with Roger Sterling. Roger manipulated her into marriage.

    Typical that the woman would be blamed.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I think it is pretty obvious that both parties share blame. That being said, as soon as Jane was fired by Joan for neglecting her job and talking back to her boss, she went crying to Roger. She went to say 'goodbye' knowing he would swoop in and save her. I don't know what your definition of manipulative is but those tactics are not one of the victim you are portraying. And as far as him manipulating her to marry him, he proposed and she said yes. And she certainly carries blame. He broke his vow she slept with a married man. So yes, I have plenty of blame for her.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Follow Up: I know Joan had an affair with Roger. Those are those questionable morals I spoke of. But really, I am not aware of any central Mad Men characters who have not engaged in an adulturous affair. It wouldn't be Mad Men if these men and women were faithful and upheld a good moral code.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I blame Jane for having an affair with Roger. And I blame him for the affair. Just as I blame both Joan and Roger for their affair. But you had accused Jane of manipulating Roger into leaving Mona for her. That was his idea, not hers. He was the one who came up with that idea, after a conversation he had with Don. The only thing I can blame Jane for is going along with his plans.

    ReplyDelete
  7. True, I should have been more careful with my words. She is just manipulative in general- it was Rogers idea to leave his wife. But as far as just going along with his plan ... That's a little dicey. If two people are in a car, and one gets out to murder someone, the other person might 'just be along for the ride' but legally will be implicated and tried in court. I think you see my point. Bottom line I like watching the the fictitious story lines involving adultery but in real life, it's just plain messy and ladies and gentlemen along for the ride, as we have both contended are, equally to blame.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Follow Up: Most Man Men characters are manipulative... It wouldn't be fun to watch if they weren't scheming

    ReplyDelete