Monday, October 12, 2009

On the Menu

Like a good AH, I have been musing with the menu for the week. I already know that one night we are going to a restaurant that my friend CLK and I tried last week and I having been craving ever since. It is called Bliss Cafe and for you Dallas dears, it is on Greenville Ave, very close to Nordstrom rack. Bliss focuses on Raw and organic food. Totally Gluten free. I had their version of a Margarita Pizza and I would rather eat theirs than the real thing!! The crust is made out of pumpkin seeds with basil and pistachio pesto topped by cashew cheese and of course, tomatoes. Sounds odd I am sure but it is delicious and nutrient packed. Because it is so full of nutrients you feel full very quickly and you stay full because your body recognizes that it has gotten what it needs!

Despite feeling full, we had to try their "brownies" made with dates and raw cocoa. They are rich, heavenly and healthy!! For those of you who know me, I am not one who actively seeks out healthy food. I hate whole wheat bread, whole wheat pasta etc .. my body literally rejects that stuff. But this?? This is amazing and convinced one southern gal that if I could eat at Bliss for every meal for the rest of my life (all raw food) I would be okay!!


This is not to say I don't like healthy food - I am just not the gal that orders brown rice. I but there are things that are healthy that I just happen to like. I have always been a huge veggie and fruit fan. (I generally don't like legumes however.) What I really like is to find something that is healthy but feels like its indulgent. One of the favorites in the Southern Grace household that falls into this category is bison! Here are some quick bison facts:



72% to 92% less fat (depending upon the cut of the meat.)
An average if 50% less cholesterol.
30% higher in protein and less calories.
No growth-inducing hormones or steroids.
No known human allergies.



Per 3 oz. serving, Bison has 47 less calories than chicken, 90 less than lean ground beef, 32 less than fish and turkey and it has the least cholesterol of all of them!! This delicious meat taste richer than any of these aforementioned meats. I would rather eat a bison burger any day!! Think of the possibilities - bison meatballs, bison meatloaf, bison meat sauce and bison chili!! If your palate is like mine then if you substitute bison for beef in anyone of these instances you will find a much richer and tastier end result. So one the weekly menu, we are going to try bison chili. Here is the recipe that I got off the Food Network. If all goes well, we might serve this up at our pumpkin carving party next week!!



Ingredients

4 cups diced onions
1 roasted poblano, seeded and diced
1/2 cup diced celery


2 cups diced bell peppers
1/2 cup minced garlic
2 1/2 pounds ground Bison
9 ounces dark chili powder
1 tablespoon cumin
1 tablespoon cayenne pepper
1 (10-pound) can diced tomatoes
1 (5-pound) can kidney beans


1 (5-pound) can black beans
24 ounces tomato-vegetable juice



Directions

Saute onions, poblanos, celery, bell peppers, and garlic until translucent. Add meat and saute together. Mix together chili powder, cumin, and cayenne pepper and add to meat and vegetable mixture. Add diced tomatoes, kidney beans, and black beans. Add tomato-vegetable juice. Let simmer for 40 minutes, stirring occasionally.






I have made regular chili before of course and found a way to leave out the beans but I can't remember how I did it or what I added more of in place. Today I am going to leave you with a picture of beautiful Montana. Why you ask? Because one day I hope Mr. SG and I can make it to this beautiful state but also because lots of bison roam in Montana and I couldn't put up a picture of a precious bison. A nod to last nights "Bored to Death" on HBO - "In my heart I am a Vegan. In my mouth I lack discipline"

Stay Chic,

HSG

2 comments:

  1. Let me know how the chili turns out! We hope you can make it up to Montana one summer when we are out at the lake house. We will need to discuss!! It is just gorgeous there and I love it!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Bliss Cafe sounds so yummy; I'm with you, I like my healthy food to not taste like it is! Thanks for the recipe.

    ReplyDelete