Thursday, November 19, 2009

Kitchens

Not that its happening soon (Mr. SG, if you're reading this don't freak out ...) but the SG household has some changes happening in its future. Now that we know we'll be here for at least 2.5 more years due to my Teach For America commitment, its time to start customizing our little dwelling place. Last year we bought a 2 bedroom 2 bathroom condo near the Park Cities and while we know it is not smart to make serious changes to a place like this, there are definitely some movements on the horizon. It is my opinion that if you make some small changes that get you even the slightest return (or none) it is worth it because it enhances your lifestyle while you are living there. I have a small wish list of changes to make, that are simple, neutral and some that I believe will impact buyers when we eventually decided to move on.

I totally agree with the thought process that kitchens sell houses! Our kitchen is nice enough - stainless appliances, a decent amount of storage and granite tile counter tops. But we can do much better. For starters, I would like to get granite slab. The tiles irk me. It is like they went half way.

Secondly, I'd like to change the cabinets a little. Right now, they are builder standard - you know, no handles and some curvy grooves to 'add interest'. They are blah is what they are. So I am thinking of mixing in some glass pane cabinets with lighting.
So for our new kitchen, which is happening in the next six months, I am going the white kitchen route. I remember the day when I was watching an HGTV special on kitchens and they were talking all about "white kitchens" and I thought - oh, how boring. My kitchen growing up was a tastefully done French Provincial with a customized china blue hutch and warm cabinets with beautiful molding etc, etc ... So in my mind, that is what kitchens were! And I still love my mother's kitchen - however, I am warming to the white -especially since we have to create a buyer friendly look. So below are some images that have my mind running around!


Note the openness that this kitchen (above) creates. Yum Yum!! The glass, I really feel, make it feel warm yet spacious. (Granted, it is an enormous kitchen .... jealous!!)

This example shows Ikea cabinets - they are so reasonably priced and give an effect similar to its more expensive counterparts. I love the chopping block counter tops, and they are tres reasonable, but they do not sell kitchens. Granite sells!

I do love the white marble, but as a more affordable and universal compromise, I am thinking about a granite in the warm grey tones like this one. Our current granite is black, with some interesting flecks in it which I surprisingly like. It gives a similar look to slate, which is also an awesome counter look.


I suppose we have some time. My understanding is that the decor priority list is as follows: Replace closet and household doors (we are not loving our current ones ...), get towels, pillows and silver frames monogrammed with our new monogram, paint and reupholster our desk chair, paint our steal-of-a-deal china cabinet (another blog post in its entirety ...) figure out the hole in the bathroom wall .... tricky ... and then the kitchen!!!
Kitchen suggestions are welcome!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment