Saturday, November 21, 2009

One week anniversary

We have officially been married for one week. I have been trying to get a copy of our marriage license (which is in Florida) so that I can change my name here in Texas, so I know for a fact that our license has been processed which means it is truly official!

When trying to find out our status, I would call the clerks office and say "I am calling to see if my marriage license has been processed yet ..." I wonder how funny that must have sounded, like maybe I had changed my mind and wanted to stop it before it was too late! But no, just trying to make the name change!

We have begun getting social invitations addressed to "Mr. and Mrs. H " which is fun to see. But poor husband thought my name change would be official before our honeymoon next week so he reserved my lift ticket with my new last name ... sadly it doesn't work that fast (especially in Texas - Florida is much easier which is ultimately where I am going to do the change I have since figured out ...) Never-the-less I am hoping that they can keep our name on the ticket as a fun, honeymoon souvenir!!

I know there are many arguments for a woman keeping her name, most of which I agree with, but seeing as I have nothing professional (or reasons otherwise) tying me down to my maiden name, the choice was easy for me. I will be thrilled to take his last name as a means to unify the two of us as a family. There are so many other options out there tailored to each individual couple (hyphenating, combining, new name, etc ...), but taking his name was the right one for us. Someone asked me once if (by my logic of taking a name to become a family) I would have him take my name and I couldn't really come up with a good reason why that wouldn't accomplish the same goal, but for whatever reason, becoming Mrs. H just felt like the way to go. Maybe its because I have always wanted to move up the alphabet ... being a "W" for so long has its rough times! The one somewhat unique thing I am doing is keeping all of my names ... I couldn't bear to part with my first name, as it is my mothers and I go by my middle name but how could I drop my last name when I have identified with it for so long! So we'll see how that works out at the DMV ... four names on a drivers license will look interesting!

I will leave you with a hilarious picture of our cat, Harper. Scout is staying with Grandma and Grandpa in Florida for the next few weeks due to all of our traveling so Harper is looovvviinnnnggg her vacation. Here she is passed out on her Daddy's lap, oblivious to the fact that her sister will be returning in a few weeks ... enjoy it while you can Harper!

No comments:

Post a Comment