Thursday, November 5, 2009

Sexy Little Post ...


One of the fun things about planning for my wedding is getting to buy lingerie. I love a great bra and underwear set - matching lace, little bow details, etc ... But 9 times out of 10, I take home the "practical" choice. My sweet bridesmaids and friends threw me a lingerie shower and I'll tell you, this spurred my desire to don more sexified undergarments - at least during the honeymoon! So they set me up with some great little numbers that were totally "me" and meanwhile, inspired my inner -vixen to come out!! So for this post I am going to show you some "sexy little things" that caught my eye the other day while I was shopping for my "trousseau".


My relationship with lingerie has been a funny one for many reasons. But let me share with you a trip down memory lane with 14 year-old Southern Grace. It was the summer before freshman year and all the cool girls had started wearing thongs. When I relayed this to my Mom she thought I meant flip -flops. Oh my sweet, optimistic mother, how wrong you were. Of course, like the responsible mother she was, she denied my request for a panty-line-free existence.


One afternoon, while on a mall trip with Dad, I snuck away to Victoria Secret to purchase my contraband undergarment. I quickly picked out a plain thong and nervously brought it up to the counter. I said "It's for my mother - a present." Can we say 'awkward' all together now? What teenager buys their mom a nude thong as a present? Its not like they looked at me funny - I mean, I was a 5' 7" 14 year old who was constantly offered a glass of wine while out to dinner with the parents, it wouldn't have been so inconceivable that I would be buying a thong. So there you have it. My one thong. And I didn't even have the courage to wear it because there was the laundry issue ... whoops! Didn't think that one through ... I am not sure my sweet mom even knows this story. Oh well, she does now ... Hi mom!! Sorry about that one ...


Before getting into the choices another story ... I was in Claire's today, picking out some little pearl necklaces for the three flower girls in my wedding. I was horrified to find white, fishnet thigh highs with red bows on top. In Claires!! The target demographic is girls - young girls - middle schoolers!! I tried to find a picture on Claires.com but couldnt. Instead, these pictures are literally exactly what they look like but made to fit you 8-13 year old daughter thankyouverymuch!!! Ugh - an abomination. Picture me, having bought lingerie for my wedding all morning, which may I add while doing so felt like it was a special rite of passage or something, only to come into this tweenage store and see that sexy numbers like these are being made for and marketed to children? My mind was going crazy - thus this rant. But now, on to the main point - buying lingerie when it is appropriate - you are a grown-up, you are getting married, etc ...

If you're like me, you have discerning taste even when it comes to lingerie. I, therefore, am drawn to things that are sweet and sexy. I like the items that are bombshell-esque but that I can still sleep in with out strangling myself on multiple straps in the middle of the night.


I love the color, not to mention the bow across the chest! The sweet three tiered bottom is modest enough yet playful being a little bit sheer.
This one definitely says "Bride". Again, sweet and reasonable! It has an elegance to it. If you want to really send the "marital message", find something like this - white, frilly, girly and innocent looking.


Finally, my personal favorites - thigh highs. Nothing makes me feel sexier than putting on a pair of these babies. This is that "1 out of 10" times I was talking about when I didn't make the practical choice. Dress your gams in thigh highs under a cocktail dress this winter and you'll feel sexy, confident and powerful.

Which brings me to my most important point. Yes, I am writing this because I am getting married and thus have made the proverbial pilgrimage to the land of lace in preparation - but even when this lingerie has been for my eyes only, that 10% when I indulged was wonderful. Putting on a cute pair of boy shorts instead of Hanes "to-the-belly-button" might just be the thing you need that day to give you an extra boost. One night, find a silky slip to sleep in instead of an over sized tee. Obviously everyone has their own feelings about lingerie - some will be 100% and feel like they're vamping it up even in a man's flannel shirt and Hanes finest but find your "lingerie" - the occasional red lipstick, curling your hair when you don't have anywhere to go or painting your nails hot pink. The most important thing is that you're doing this for you. Nothing is more beautiful or sexy then that inner glow!!

No comments:

Post a Comment