Wednesday, November 18, 2009

Mrs. Southern Teacher

So I have to share with you some good, non-wedding related news first. One of the pieces of news I have been bubbling at the brim to share with you all and the other I just found out!

The First Piece

Starting in the next few weeks I am going to be long-term subbing for an amazing middle school science class while their teacher has her beautiful baby! This little deal has been in the works for a while but now I am fortunate enough to say it is pretty official and I am simply waiting for the call that she is in labor and I will grab my coat, run out the door and teach science! My position here could last anywhere from 6 - 12 weeks depending on what she chooses to take. Most likely it will be on the longer side (more time to spend with the precious bundle of joy!). The position falls over Christmas break which extends the actual time period a bit, but I am so looking forward to getting to know these wonderful students and doing my best to fill her shoes for the time being.

The Second Piece

It is a good thing that I am getting this sort of subbing practice because next year I will have my very own classroom. Yes dears, I was just offered a position with Teach For America. For those of you unfamiliar with this wonderful program, here is the short of it. TFA is a non-profit organization celebrating its 20th anniversary this year of helping to eradicate the inequality this country sees in its education system. Last year, over 35,000 graduating college students and professionals applied to be a part of this movement and approximately 15% percent were chosen to fill teaching positions within underprivileged rural and urban school districts. TFA is considered highly competitive and in fact, around 10% of the Ivy League's graduating classes apply for a position. Each of these applicants share a common interest in being a part of the solution.

Next August, I will teach High School English right here in Dallas, TX. I am so honored to have the opportunity to make this kind of difference. I am already hatching and scheming to develop a fun curriculum that covers a broad range of English subject matter ranging from literature, grammar to public speaking. After spending 6 weeks in Houston this summer, developing lesson plans, I know I will be ready to walk into my classroom. My substituting experience this year I am sure will only help in my classroom management abilities.

One thing I must figure out once all of the lesson plans are in order and the classroom is organized is what to wear on my feet! If subbing so far has taught me nothing, its that teachers need a good army of stylish yet comfortable shoes. I am considering the Cole Haan Nike Air variety - especially these simple and classic pumps.

If you have any good shoe or teaching advice it is definitely welcome!

2 comments:

  1. Congratulations on both! How wonderful to be chosen as part of such a great program. I think the Cole Haan's are a good choice. I also have found Stuart Weitzman heels to be very comfortable.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Congratulations on TFA!! That is a huge accomplishment. I know so many people that have applied for it...and it's SO competitive. Very big deal!! :)

    ReplyDelete