Tuesday, November 3, 2009

Chicago was "All that Jazz" and more ...

My crazy dad called me up on Saturday to see if I wanted to come to Chicago with him for one night leaving that Monday (yesterday) and coming back Tuesday (today). He would be in a conference all afternoon Monday but we would be able to spend time together Monday night and Tuesday morning. Having been bitten by the travel bug at an early age, it would have been a violation of all things I hold dear to say 'no' to an opportunity such as this. I immediately booked a flight and yesterday morning at 5:45 AM I waved good-bye to Dallas and headed to the Windy City.
I had never been to Chicago but boy, did it live up to my expectations. I could not have paid for better weather. It was cool, crisp and not very windy ... Dad and I stayed at the Drake and thoroughly enjoyed its' historical elegance and prime location. I immediately headed to the cafe at Ralph Lauren or RL's it is also called, for a wonderful lunch with Dallas transplant, friend and blog reader CP, who is currently studying law at the University of Chicago.

I started with a delicious spinach salad, followed by toasted cheese (Gruyere) on Rye with a side of tomato soup and then finished it off by sharing a banana split. (Oh yes, and the glass of wine ...) The meal was perfectly American and a great introduction to Chicago. We sat in the library looking area surrounded by eye-candy art books that were mixing and mingling with tartan and crocodile accessories. There were monograms galore punctuated by the ever-so-necessary Ming vases and English hunting scenes. I was essentially eating in a heaven of sorts.
I spent the rest of the day shopping on Michigan Avenue which was absolutely lovely, though still a reminder of how wonderful our shopping is here in Dallas. Mostly I found joy looking up at the fantastic diversity of architecture that the city is so known for. After wandering the beautiful streets I headed back to the Drake to get ready for the evening.

Dad and I started off with cocktails at the Ritz and then went to dinner at Spiaggia - a to-die-for, contemporary Italian restaurant that is reportedly President Obama's favorite. (Pictured below) This restaurant is a true experience and a special treat. One of the highlights was a rare wine from Cinqueterre (one of our favorite Italian vacation spots) and then dessert was a chocolate filled crepe drizzled with olive oil and accompanied by olive oil gelato - unbelievable!


We ended our whirlwind trip with a visit to the John Hancock observatory to take in the views of Lake Michigan. All-in-all, this little jaunt was a special time for my dad and I to spend together before his little girl gets married in 11 (or 10 if your on Eastern Time as I am writing this) days ... yes, it freaks me out a little that it is flying by so fast!

Bottom line, I highly recommend considering Chicago for a long weekend - it seems like it could be wonderfully romantic or just a great family trip. There is a beautiful observatory, a great Zoo and Aquarium, the Field Museum is breathtaking (see picture below) and Lake Michigan is a sight to see!

In keeping with my corny title (Broadway enthusiasts will see the pun ...) I have to say that Chicago really "Razzle Dazzled"me ... and I cannot wait to return!

2 comments:

  1. hmmmm...Art History major and no mention of a visit to the Art Institute??!!! Grace, Grace, Grace...

    ReplyDelete
  2. I know I know!! We only had about 22 hours ... it was whirlwind! Next time when I visit with the hubby we will definitely make it to the Art Institute!

    ReplyDelete